[R] Requesting help with lattice again

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Wed Mar 25 15:02:13 CET 2009

Hello, this is a request for assistance that I submitted earlier, this time
with the dataset. My mistake for taking up bandwidth.  I've also rephrased
the question to address an additional concern.

I'm working on a windows XP machine with R 2.8.1

1).  I'd like a barchart (or other lattice type display) HSI ~ of the three
factors (Region, Scenario and HydroState).
      However barchart complains

> library(reshape)
> library(lattice)

>  barchart(Wbirdsm$HSI ~ WBirdsm$Scenario | WBridsm$Region)

>  # This works, but only marginally.  I'd like specify the interaction
between the variables ( Scenario and HydroState)
>    What is the best way to combine these factors so they can be treated
as a single variable and rewrite the barchart call?

>  barchart(Wbirdsm$HSI ~ WBirdsm$"interaction between Scenario and
HydroState") ~ Wbirdsm$Region)

The second question refers back to my original posting.
2)  #  using dotplot instead of barchart I use the following code.

> key.variable <- list(space = "right", text =
list(levels(wbirdm$variable)), points = list(pch = 1:3,
col=c("red","green", "blue")))
> dotplot(wbirdm$value  ~ wbirdm$variable | wbirdm$Region, col=c(1:9), pch=
rep(c(1:3), key = key.variable,  groups=wbirdm$variable,     ylab= "Mean
HSI"))

> # However the key legend doesn't appear in the plot with this sequence
and the labels are too along the panels.  Is there a way to address this?

thank you very much for the assistance.

Steve

This is part of the larger data base, after I passed it thru melt.

                                Region Species Scenario HydroState
HSI
1                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong      NSM        Ave
0.165945170
2                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong      NSM        Dry
0.056244263
3                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong      NSM        Wet
0.290692607
4                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong      ECB        Ave
0.165945170
5                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong     ECB         Dry
0.056244263
6                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong     ECB         Wet
0.290692607
7                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong     CERP        Ave
0.165945170
8                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong     CERP        Dry
0.056244263
9                    Eastern Panhandle  WBLong     CERP        Wet
0.290692607
10 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong      NSM        Ave
0.151159734
11 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong      NSM        Dry
0.067348863
12 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong      NSM        Wet
0.244440738
13 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong      ECB        Ave
0.151159734
14 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong     ECB         Dry
0.067348863
15 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong     ECB         Wet
0.244440738
16 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong     CERP        Ave
0.151159734
17 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong     CERP        Dry
0.067348863
18 Long Pine Key / South Taylor Slough  WBLong     CERP        Wet
0.244440738
19              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong      NSM        Ave
0.115503291
20              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong      NSM        Dry
0.005617136
21              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong      NSM        Wet
0.252428530
22              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong      ECB        Ave
0.115503291
23              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong     ECB         Dry
0.005617136
24              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong     ECB         Wet
0.252428530
25              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong     CERP        Ave
0.115503291
26              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong     CERP        Dry
0.005617136
27              Northern Taylor Slough  WBLong     CERP        Wet
0.252428530
28                         East Slough  WBLong      NSM        Ave
0.313215457
29                         East Slough  WBLong      NSM        Dry
0.046917053
30                         East Slough  WBLong      NSM        Wet
0.447002596
31                         East Slough  WBLong      ECB        Ave
0.313215457
32                         East Slough  WBLong     ECB         Dry
0.046917053
33                         East Slough  WBLong     ECB         Wet
0.447002596
34                         East Slough  WBLong     CERP        Ave
0.313215457
35                         East Slough  WBLong     CERP        Dry
0.046917053
36                         East Slough  WBLong     CERP        Wet
0.046917053
37                        Shark Slough  WBLong      NSM        Ave
0.479722873
38                        Shark Slough  WBLong      NSM        Dry
0.232024256
39                        Shark Slough  WBLong      NSM        Wet
0.449336931
40                        Shark Slough  WBLong      ECB        Ave
0.479722873
41                        Shark Slough  WBLong     ECB         Dry
0.232024256
42                        Shark Slough  WBLong     ECB         Wet
0.449336931
43                        Shark Slough  WBLong     CERP        Ave
0.479722873
44                        Shark Slough  WBLong     CERP        Dry
0.232024256
45                        Shark Slough  WBLong     CERP        Wet
0.449336931
46              Northeast Shark Slough  WBLong      NSM        Ave
0.326464412
47              Northeast Shark Slough  WBLong      NSM        Dry
0.233158644
48              Northeast Shark Slough  WBLong      NSM        Wet
0.199261704
49              Northeast Shark Slough  WBLong      ECB        Ave
0.326464412
50              Northeast Shark Slough  WBLong     ECB         Dry
0.233158644

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282