[R] pca vs. pfa: dimension reduction

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 20:51:58 CET 2009

Hi Sören,

>> (1) Is there an easy example, which explains the differences between
>> pca and pfa? (2) Which R procedure should I use to get what I want?

There are a number of fundamental differences between PCA and FA (Factor
Analysis), which unfortunately are quite widely ignored. FA is explicitly
model-based, whereas PCA does not invoke an explicit model. FA is also
designed to detect structure, whereas PCA focuses on variance, to put things
simply. In more detail, the two methods "attack" the covariance matrix in
different ways: in PCA the focus of decomposition is on the diagonal
elements, whereas in FA the focus is on the off-diagonal elements.

Take a look at Prof. Revelle's psych package (funtion omega &c). Note also
that factanal has a rotation = "none" option.

Regards, Mark.