[R] Minimal R-installation (and it's size)

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Thu Mar 26 14:39:18 CET 2009

Hello,

for very small systems (embedded devices) I think about
a minimalistic R-installation.

When I look at the R-binary, it has just 5472 Bytes of size.
I think this will only be a small initial program,
that afterwards starts other executables and
also will load standard/base package(s).

Can you give me a hint, on how to maintain a minimalistic
R-installation and how much (how less) memory/disk usage
it presumably will need?

Or asked the other way around: how much space (memory/disk)
does R need when it is used only with the packages that are initially
loaded, when I start it up in a distribution like Debian for example)?

Ciao,
    Oliver