[R] 'stretching' a binomial variable

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Mar 27 14:52:41 CET 2009

On 3/27/2009 7:49 AM, imicola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im carrying out some Bayesian analysis using a binomial response variable
> (proportion: 0 to 1), but most of my observations have a value of 0 and many
> have very small values (i.e. 0.001).  I'm having troubles getting my MCMC
> algorithm to converge, so I have decided to try normalising my response
> variable to see if this helps.

It seems to me that the problem in a situation like this is with the
algorithm, not with the data.  Can't you modify it to get better
convergence?  For example, set your target to be the square root of your
posterior (or some other power between 0 and 1); this is more diffuse,
so it's easier to sample from.  Then use importance sampling to reweight
the sample.

Duncan Murdoch