[R] Eclipse and StatET Howto (also added Subversion, Rtools)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 29 12:37:52 CEST 2009

Thanks for posting these.  One minor correction about Rtools
installation below:

On 28/03/2009 11:25 PM, Ken-JP wrote:
> [...]
> 32-bit.
> R 2.9.0 alpha.
>
> Installing StatET:
>
> 1. Go to Help > Software Updates... > Available Software > Add Site... >
> and type in:  http://download.walware.de/eclipse-3.4
> 2. Select the packages you want and Install
> 3. Restart Eclipse - if successful, you should see StatET under Window
> Preferences...
> 4. Go to Window > Preferences > StatET > R Environments > Add...
> and enter a label for your R environment (eg R 2.9.0 alpha) and path (eg
> L:/bin/R/R-2.9.0alpha )
>
> NOTE: I had some flaky issues with sending code in StatET when my path
> included spaces, so if you have issues, it is best to reinstall R in a path
> that contains no spaces.
>
> 5. In Eclipse, click on the Add Views icon in your toolbar and select Other
>> StatET
> 6. In Eclipse, click on the Green Play Array Icon/Menu and and select Run
> Configurations...
>     6a. Enter a name for your run configuration (eg R 2.9.0 alpha )
>     6b. Under the R Config tab, you should see your entry in 4. under
> Workbench default
>     6c. Enter a Working Directory, if you like
> 7. Reference for more details:
> http://www.splusbook.com/Rintro/R_Eclipse_StatET.pdf
>
> Installing Subversion (SVN Client):
>
> WARNING:  Trust Tigris and their 0.7 & post 1.4-releases at your own risk.
> I spent several hours trying to get later versions to work, but they all
> failed to recognize SVNKit on my setups.  Several other users have posted
> this issue.  The solution is to install 1.4, which I will describe here.  I
> assume that you already have an svn server setup on svn://svnserver
>
> 1. Help > Software Updates... > Add Site... >
> http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x
> 2. Pick the packages you want (pay attention to required ones) and install
> 3. Right-Click on Project Explorer > Import > SVN > Checkout Projects from
> SVN > Next
> 4. Create a new repository location > type in something like
> svn://svnserver/subdir > Next
> 5. Select the folders you want > Finish
>
> IMPORTANT if you have problems with any version of Subversion:
> Check: Windows > Preferences > Team > SVN > SVN Interface
> or: Windows > Preferences > Team > SVN > Client Connectors Tab
> to make sure that under SVN Interface or Client Interface (depending on the
> version of the plug-in) that you have JavaHL (what I use) or SVNKit.  If
> not, these could be the reasons:
> 1. You didn't select the interface package during the install
> 2. You are using a post 1.4 version (eg 0.7 or 1.5 and later)
>
> Installing RTools/HTML Compiler for Windoze users:
>
> This is useful for users of package inline or for users who want to compile
> their own packages using Rcmd
>
> 0. NOTE: you need to install perl and some tex (I use MikTex) before you
> install Rtools - follow their instructions.

Rtools includes Vanilla Perl, so this is not needed any more.  MikTeX is
not included and I recommend it too, but it should be possible to work
with no TeX installed, depending on what you want to do:  you just won't
be able to produce nice docs.

Duncan Murdoch