[R] Subscription request

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Mar 29 17:52:45 CEST 2009

On 29-Mar-09 11:48:12, Michael Larsson wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to subscribe to the mailing list. I already receive
> the daily digest, but for some reason I am not subscribed to the
> list, meaning any posts I make by replying to the e-mail digest
> have to be placed on the list by a moderator - incurring significant
> delay.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

This almost certainly means that some other email address of yours
is subscribed to the list (via which you receive the digests),
whereas the email address from which you try to post to the list
is not subscribed.

You could check this by looking into the full headers of a digest
you have received, to check what address it has been sent to. For
example, in one message to me from R-help I find (about halfway
down the list of headers):

 deimos.mcc.ac.uk with
 esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256) (Exim 4.69 (FreeBSD))
 (envelope-from <r-help-bounces at r-project.org>)
 id 1LndwT-000A37-TR for ted.harding at manchester.ac.uk;
 Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:11:42 +0000

showing (in the "for ... " clause) that the R-help list server
(hypatia.math.ethz.ch) addressed it to "ted.harding at manchester.ac.uk"

If you find that out, then you could work round the problem by
using that address to post to R-help.

Alternatively, you can simply visit the R-help web page

and there subscribe your other email address (the one from which
you wish to post). This will then mean that you will receive the
messages from R-help at both addresses, unless yoou either use
the above web-page to disable sending of mail to one of the
addresses, or use it to unsubscribe the one you do not wish to
post from.

Though a moderator, I cannot check what addresses are subscribed
(only the list owner can do that), so that is as far as I can go
to help.

And I hope it helps!
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861