[R] Upgrade through the R interface?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 31 15:58:01 CEST 2009

On 3/31/2009 9:37 AM, stephen sefick wrote:
> Why can we not update R through a update.version() command from within
> R?  This may be my ignorance about how software distribution works,
> but I was interested.

Because nobody has contributed such a function.

There are a few tricky issues in writing it:  generally packages need
updating as well if the X or Y in version X.Y.Z changes, and new updates
for some may not be available.  As well, on some platforms, files can't
be replaced while in use; e.g. on Windows, you'd probably need to shut
down R before it could be replaced.

So I think it could be done on Windows and probably on other platforms
too, but it would take a fair bit of work to implement.  You just need
to find someone who has spare time on their hands to do it (or do it
yourself, or hire someone, ....)

Duncan Murdoch