[R] Last month on the Revolutions blog

David M Smith david at revolution-computing.com
Tue Mar 31 20:45:48 CEST 2009

I write about R every weekday at http://blog.revolution-computing.com
. In case you missed them, here are some articles from the past month
that may be of particular interest to r-help:

* http://tinyurl.com/cz3jmk REvolution Computing is hiring! We are
looking for enthusiastic and talented people with a strong academic
and industry track record in statistical computing for technical
sales, consulting and development roles.

* http://tinyurl.com/d9lol6 addressed the question of the accuracy and
reliability of R, and the distinction between third-party packages and
the official distributions.

* http://tinyurl.com/c8pkq3 introduced Danese Cooper, renowned
open-source advocate and OSI board member, as REvolution Computing's
Open Source Diva.

* http://tinyurl.com/coe5pe linked to a new and interesting way of
visualizing correlation matrices.

* http://tinyurl.com/c5jd76 linked to tips on creating a progress bar
in R, and commenters provided several alternatives.

* http://tinyurl.com/cr8qwy linked to R code to make a slide rule.

* http://tinyurl.com/cfvqxa provided details of an Introduction to R
course (April 22, NYC) and a High-Performance Computing in R course
(April 23, Chicago).

* http://tinyurl.com/cnmsmj reviewed a video introduction to R for Excel users.

* http://tinyurl.com/ap7hdq addressed the FAQ of floating-point
numbers not testing equal R when it seems they should.

(I've provided tinyurls above because many mailers break the long
direct URLs.) There were also general (non-R) articles about
statistics and probability, graphical displays of data, and the credit
crisis.

Also, the R Community Calendar has been updated with many forthcoming
events related to R.
http://blog.revolution-computing.com/calendar.html

Comments and suggestions about the blog are welcome! (My email is
david at revolution-computing.com ).

Regards to all,
# David Smith

--