[R] "Safe" way to automatically install required packages...

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 2 19:56:25 CET 2009

R-helpers:

    I'm working on an r-package that I want to make as easy-to-use as
possible for a novice R-user, which includes automatically installing
required packages.   I, myself, am a novice R-packager, so the solution
I came up with was to embed:

print("Loading required packages...")
if (!require("reshape")) { install.packages("reshape") }
if (!require("reshape")) {
    print("Could not install package 'reshape', please contact your
sysadmin.")
    return()
}

    in the code proper, and put together the package using
package.skeleton() and R CMD build.

    I'm guessing there's a better way to do this -- any suggestions?

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar