[R] avoiding loop

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:50:42 CET 2009

The first thing I would suggest is convert your dataframes to matrices
so that you are not having to continually convert them in the calls to
the functions.  Also I am not sure what the code:

	realized_prob = with(DF, {
     					ind <- (CHOSEN == 1)
     					n <- tapply(theta_multiple[ind], CS[ind], sum)
     					d <- tapply(theta_multiple, CS, sum)
     					n / d
						})

is doing.  It looks like 'n' and 'd' might have different lengths
since they are being created by two different (CS & CS[ind])
sequences.  I have no idea why you are converting to the "DF"
dataframe.  THere is no need for that.  You could just leave the
vectors (e.g., theta_multiple, CS and ind) as they are and work with
them.  This is probably where most of your time is being spent.  So if
you start with matrices and leave the dataframes out of the main loop
you will probably see an increase in performance.

--
Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH