[R] how to display a string containing greek chrs and variables

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 15:49:09 CET 2009

I'm trying something that I thought would be pretty simple, but it's
proving quite frustrating...

I want to display, for instance, the correlation coefficient "rho" in a graph.

I can do something like:

text(x, y, paste("rho =", cor))

where cor would be my previously calculated correlation coefficient,
and x and y the coordinates.
Obviously that displays "rho", not the greek letter rho.

I can do also this:

text(x, y, paste("\\*r =",cor), vfont = c("sans serif","bold"))

that works, but that doesn't look very "pretty".
What looks good is doing something like:

text(x, y, expression(rho))

But I haven't managed to make it do what I need.

I can get this:
text(x, y, expression(rho == 0.8))

that looks good, but how can I substitute the "0.8" for teh name of a
numeric variable whose value is 0.8?

I'm going slightly mad... it can't be that hard.

Thanks for any help!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374
NEW EMAIL from July'09: nach.mcnach at gmail.com

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.