[R] Scanning grep through huge files

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Nov 3 15:51:28 CET 2009

On 11/3/2009 9:29 AM, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm dealing which huge files I would like to index. On a linux system "grep
> -buo <PATTERN> <FILENAME>" hands me the byte offsets for "PATTERN" very
> quickly and I am looking to emulate that speed and ease with native R tools
> - for portability and elegance. "gregexpr" should be able to do that but I
> fail to combine it with "scan" or an equivalent to parse the whole file
> without having to read it all into memory.

I think you are going to have to write this yourself.  R doesn't have
very many stream oriented functions:  almost everything is aimed at
having the whole thing in memory.

You will also have trouble with the byte offsets.  The semantics of the
-u option to grep are quite strange (at least according to the man page
on Cygwin).

What I'd do given your problem is use readLines to read the file, then
post-process the result of gregexpr to give line and byte offset pairs
for each match; those are more useful in R than the rather bizarre "byte
offsets" that grep -buo will give.  But for a huge file you'll probably
have to do this in blocks, as the whole file may be too big.

Duncan Murdoch