[R] Help with RGDAL

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Wed Nov 4 18:22:48 CET 2009

I did this recently with a kyngchaos binary build of rgdal,
rgdal_0.6-12.tgz and R 2.9.2.

I'll assume you have current rgdal binary package file in a directory
somewhere.
(looks like 0.6-18 is current)

Here is what I did (with version 0.6-12).
Note that I work from the command line, not from the R Gui, but it
should work either way.

cd to the directory containing the rgdal file.
Start R (type "R" at the command line)
At the R command prompt, give the command

    install.packages( 'rgdal_0.6-12.tgz' , type='binary', repos=NULL)

That should do it, assuming any and all resources required by rgdal
are already installed, and installed in places where the kyngchaos
rgdal expects to find them. This is pretty well documented on the
kyngchaos webpage, and it looks like you've been paying attention to
that, since you already installed GDAL (the kyngchaos framework build
of GDAL, right?) The kyngchaos build of rgdal may have other
requirements besides GDAL, I don't remember.

-Don