[R] new help pages in R 2.10.0

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Fri Nov 6 02:53:46 CET 2009

> I think the html based one works fine (even if I definitely preferred the
> old chtml).
> Only another comment: I chose html in my installation with Windows Vista,
> but still the help pages are opened in text files in the newly installed
> version.
The nice thing about the chtml that is missing from html is the "table of
contents" frame on the left.  Oh well!

> Of course, I can type "options(help_type="html")" as suggested every time
> I open a new session, but it would be easier if html was actually the
> default, especially for other un-experienced users.

I think if you open the file C:\Program Files\R\R-2.10.0\etc\Rprofile.site
in a text editor and remove the # symbol before the line
options(help_type="html")
that html help will be your default help.  As I think Duncan posted there
was an install file error that causes this to not happen, and
none of the beta testers caught it in time.

HTH,
Rob