[R] new help pages in R 2.10.0

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 6 07:57:42 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:03 PM,  <Antonio.Gasparrini at lshtm.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who replied.
>
> I think the html based one works fine (even if I definitely preferred the old chtml).
> Only another comment: I chose html in my installation with Windows Vista, but still the help pages are opened in text files in the newly installed version.

Thanks for this report; few people pay attention to this and/or don't
recall what they're installation options were and/or  may not be
bothered to report it.  It turns out it is a known bug in the
installer, cf.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2009-November/055430.html

and it has been fixed recently in R v2.10.0 patched:

BUG FIXES

    o	The installer did not properly record help type choices in
	R_HOME/etc/Rprofile.site.

>From http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/CHANGES.R-2.10.0pat

You find updates on the latest patches (and the most recent developers
version) via:

  http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/

> Of course, I can type "options(help_type="html")" as suggested every time I open a new session, but it would be easier if html was actually the default, especially for other un-experienced users.

You can also add that code to the .Rprofile file that you have/can
create in your home directory, e.g. C:/Users/JohnDoe/.Rprofile.

/Henrik