[R] wilcox.test returning 'NA' p-value

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Fri Nov 6 20:26:03 CET 2009

Ambar Amarelo wrote:
>> Did you read the help page?
>
> Hi  Ista Zahn and Peter, thanks to response  me.
> Well, some times on my data I have two samples with exactly values.
> (not small samples)
>
> If the mann-whitney test (wilcox.test) return a p-value = NA
> Can I consider that my two sample have a p-value = 1 ???

You probably can, but so what? I realize that p-value obsession
is rampant, but sometimes it's actually best to study the data.

You can always check for the sort of pathological case you're
interested in before passing data to wilcox.test(), using, say,
diff() or rle() on your vectors.

You might also find the error messages in coin::wilcox_test()
more informative.

> Or there's another's cases that this test will return NA and the samples are
> not the same ???
>
> BTW, on the help ?wilcox.test
>
>     "...Otherwise, if both 'x' and 'y' are given and 'paired' is 'FALSE',
>      a Wilcoxon rank sum test (equivalent to the Mann-Whitney test: see
>      the Note) is carried out..."
>
> This is why i set the parameter PAIRED=FALSE on wicox.test.

Yes, but my point was that R is case-sensitive;
"paired" != "PAIRED"

  -Peter Ehlers