[R] order of points in spline

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 6 22:01:25 CET 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, _nico_ wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was trying to fit a spline to some points and I was quite surprised to
> find out that the function spline does not take into account the order of
> the points themselves, but orders them by x.
>
> For instance, I have:
> x <- c(262, 275, 264, 250, 247, 242, 238, 233)
> y <- c(422, 389, 359, 308, 269, 229, 191, 176)
> plot(x, y, xlim=c(0, 500), ylim=c(0,500))
> s <- spline(x,y)
> points(s, type="l", lwd=2)
>
> As you can see from the above examplethe spline is fitted not using the
> points in the order that was passed, but ordering them by x.
>
> Is there a way to prevent this?

Huh?

Prevent spline from using (x[n],y[n]) as the coordinates of the n^{th}
data point?

Why on earth would you want to do that?

Do you think that this:

> all.equal( spline(x,y) , spline( rev(x) , rev(y)))
[1] TRUE

should have returned FALSE??

Chuck

p.s. Hint: Respond by citing a reference in the peer reviewed math/stats
literature that describes a function that does what you want and folks may
be able to help you.