[R] Error: cannot allocate vector of size 3.4 Gb

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Sat Nov 7 14:51:13 CET 2009

you haven't answered how much resource you have available when you try
reading in the data.

with the mouse exon chip, the math is the same i mentioned before.

having 8 GB, you should be able to read in 70 samples of this chip. if
you can't, that's because you don't have enough resources when trying
to read.

best,

On Nov 7, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Benilton Carvalho
> <bcarvalh at jhsph.edu> wrote:
>> this is converging to bioc.
>>
>> let me know what your sessionInfo() is and what type of CEL files
>> you're
>> trying to read, additionally provide exactly how you reproduce the
>> problem.
>

> Here is my sessionInfo(). pname is 'moex10stv1cdf'.
>
>> for (f in list.celfiles('.',full.names=T,recursive=T)) {
> +   print(f)
> +   pname=cleancdfname(whatcdf(f))
> +   print(pname)
> + }
>

>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> locale:
> LC_CTYPE
> =
> en_US
> .UTF
> -8
> ;LC_NUMERIC
> =
> ;LC_TIME
> =
> en_US
> .UTF
> -8
> ;LC_COLLATE
> =
> en_US
> .UTF
> -8
> ;LC_MONETARY
> =
> ;LC_MESSAGES
> =
> en_US
> .UTF
> -8
> ;LC_PAPER
> =
> en_US
> .UTF
> -8
> ;LC_NAME
> =
> ;LC_ADDRESS
> =C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] pd.moex.1.0.st.v1_2.4.1 RSQLite_0.7-2           DBI_0.2-4
> [4] oligo_1.8.3             preprocessCore_1.6.0    oligoClasses_1.6.0
> [7] Biobase_2.4.1

> [1] affxparser_1.16.0 affyio_1.12.0     Biostrings_2.12.9
> IRanges_1.2.3
> [5] splines_2.9.2
>

>> it appears to me, i'm not sure, that you start a fresh session of R
>> and then
>> tries to read in the data - how much resource do you have available
>> when you
>> try reading in the data? having 8GB RAM does not mean that you have
>> 8GB when
>> you tried the task.

>> On Nov 7, 2009, at 12:08 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

>>> It is 8. The code that give the error is listed below. There are 70
>>> celfiles. I'm wondering how to investigate what cause the problem
> [...]
>>> cel_files = list.celfiles('.', full.names=T,recursive=T)