[R] reference on contr.helmert and typo on its help page.

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 9 02:32:41 CET 2009

Dear Peng,

I'm tempted to try to get an entry in the fortunes package but will instead
try to answer your questions directly:

On
> Behalf Of Peng Yu
> Sent: November-08-09 7:41 PM
> To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
> Subject: Re: [R] reference on contr.helmert and typo on its help page.
>
> Dear John,
>
> I did read Section 9.1.2 and various other textbooks before posting my
> questions. But each reference uses slightly different notations and
> terminology. I get confused and would like a description that
> summaries everything so that I don't have to refer to many different
> resources. May I ask a few questions on the section in your textbook?
>
> Which variable in Section 9.1.2 is "a matrix of contrasts" mentioned
> in the help page of 'contr.helmert'? Which matrix of contrast in R
> corresponds to dummy regression? With different R formula, e.g. y ~ x
> vs. y ~ x -1, $X_F$ (mentioned on page 189) is different and hence
> $\beta_F$ (mentioned in eq. 9.3) is be different. So my understanding
> is that the matrix of contrast should depend on the formula. But it is
> not according to the help page of "contr.helmert".

If the model is simply y ~ A, for the factor A, then cbind(1, contrasts(A))
is what I call X_B, the row-basis of the model matrix. As I explain in the
section that you read, the level means are mu = X_B beta, and thus beta =
X_B^-1 mu = 0 are the hypotheses tested by the contrasts. Moreover, if, as
in Helmert contrasts, the columns of X_B are orthogonal, then so are the
rows of X_B^-1, and the latter are simply rescalings of the former. That
allows one conveniently to code the hypotheses directly in X_B; all this is
also explained in that section of my book, and is essentially what Peter D.
told you. In R, contr.treatment and contr.SAS provide dummy-variable (0/1)
coding of regressors, differing only in the selection of the reference
level.

John