[R] Models for Discrete Choice in R

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Nov 10 13:57:52 CET 2009

Iuri Gavronski wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I certainly can't speak for Emmanuel. I don't know his reasons.
>
> The reason I've posted this question is the fact that (as far as I
> understood), ordinal regression is based on logistic regression (or
> probit), and logistic regression expects a formula like dichotomous ~
> ratio1 + ratio2 + ... + ration. However, most examples I've found in
> Design, MASS and VGAM test models like ordinal ~ categorical1 +
> categorical2 + ... + categoricaln.
>
> I wonder if it is just coincidence or I have just found the wrong functions.

Logistic regression includes binary, ordinal, and polytomous
(multinomial) cases.  Binary logistic regression needs a binary
response.  Ordinal logistic regression (usually proportional odds but
can be other flavors such as continuation ratio model) needs an ordinal
response.  The polr and lrm functions work this way.

Frank