[R] R process gets killed spontaneously

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Tue Nov 10 17:54:21 CET 2009

Hi Peng,

in a very simplistic manner, what happens is that the Operating System
"thinks" it is too dangerous to let the R process to use so much
memory. So, to protect the whole system, it kills R, before the system
becomes unstable.

I've been looking at the problem you observed last week and, as I
promised, I will come back to you with my findings sometime this week.
I was already informed on how to reduce the memory footprint when
creating the specific object you're interested in, but still need to
run some tests.

Will get back to you soon,