[R] R installer can't find math.h, stdio.h

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Nov 11 15:42:23 CET 2009

This is possibly the wrong list, but anyway ...

Using Linux Debian-4.0 Etch (regularly upgraded).

I set about installing Simon Woods' "soap" package -- see:

  http://www.maths.bath.ac.uk/~sw283/simon/software.html

So I downloaded the tar archive  soap_0.1-3.tar.gz and then ran
(as root) R CMD INSTALL as follows (and with the following errors):

# R CMD INSTALL /home/ted/Downloads/soap_0.1-3.tar.gz
* installing to library ?/usr/local/lib/R/site-library?
* installing *source* package ?soap? ...
** libs
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -g -O2 -c soap.c -o
soap.o
soap.c:6:18: error: math.h: No such file or directory
soap.c:7:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory

[the remaining output being assorted warnings]

Now, I do have math.h and stdio.h:

/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include/math.h
/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include/stdio.h

which may be a non-standard place (usually, in the past at any rate,
in /usr/include).

The soap bundle has one file to be compiled: soap/src/soap.c

I have tried to pick my way around what happens when you call
R CMD INSTALL, in order to find where the "-I/usr/share/R/include"
comes from, so as to enable it to locate math.h and stdio.h,
but I got lost!

Any advice welcome!

With thanks,
Ted.