[R] Partial correlations and p-values

dadrivr dadrivr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 04:34:26 CET 2009

Awesome, that's what I was looking for.  I have two additional questions: (1)
What can I do if the variables are of different lengths? (2) How do I update
the formula if I want to control for more than one variable.

Let's take the following example:
x <- c(1,20,14,7,9)
y <- c(5,6,7,9,10,11)
z <- c(13,27,16,5,4,17,20)
a <- c(4,6,7,1)

xres <- residuals(lm(x ~ z))
yres <- residuals(lm(y ~ z))
cor(xres, yres)
ct <- cor.test(xres, yres)
ct$estimate
ct$p.value

How do I update the above formula to:
(1) take into account that the variables are of different lengths?  I get an
error when calculating the residuals.
(2) control for z and a (i.e., more than one variable)?

Thanks so much for your help.