[R] Problem building R 2.10.0 - Matrix package

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 12 09:52:51 CET 2009

    TA> All:
    TA> Attached is the output file from building R 2.10.0 on RedHat Linux. I
    TA> have never previously experienced any problems when building R from
    TA> source with new releases. But, now I get a compile error with the Matrix
    TA> package:

    TA> CHOLMOD/Include/cholmod.h:87:22: error: UFconfig.h: No such file or
    TA> directory
    TA> make[3]: *** [CHMfactor.o] Error 1
    TA> make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/RtmppKsKKl/R.INSTALL327b23c6/Matrix/src'
    TA> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Matrix'

very strange.  UFconfig.h is part of the Matrix package sources,
and we (Matrix maintainers, or R core) have never heard of such
a problem.
Could it be that your disk / filesystem was close to 100% full,
and during unpacking (of the Matrix package source in
  R-2.10.0/src/library/Recommended/
  where you should have (ls -l) something like
  -rw-r--r--  ... ... ... 1991383  Oct 9 04:05  Matrix_0.999375-31.tar.gz
) parts where lost?

Have you ever retried the whole procedure?

    TA> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

    TA> I am simply doing this, as I always have:

    TA> ./configure --prefix=/Local/install/location (I can not use the default)
    TA> make

    TA> I should add that even with this error with the Matrix package, I can do
    TA> a 'make install' OK. Subsequently, R seems to come up fine from the
    TA> command line…

well, but

  library(Matrix)

would fail, wouldn't it?