[R] R package for reading / writing 3D file (. PLY)

kvarpun jallouli.med.amine at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:37:24 CET 2009

Duncan Murdoch-2 wrote:

> On 11/12/2009 4:56 AM, kvarpun wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there an R package that reads and writes 3D images having the
>> extension
>> PLY (PLY images of Stanford University)?
>>
>> Currently, I installed the package misc3d. This package displays these
>> images PLY, but it can neither read nor write PLY images.
>
> This doesn't make sense.  How can it display PLY images if it can't read
> them?  Could you give an example?
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

>> Thank you to tell me the name of a package that will read and write such
>> images.

Thank you for quick answer.
I have to inform you that the only available functions in the package misc3d
are:

contour3d                 Draw an Isosurface, a Three Dimension Contour Plot
  drawScene            Rendering of Triangular Mesh Surface Data
  image3d                Draw Points on a 3D Grid
  kde3d                    Compute a Three Dimension Kernel Density Estimate
  makeTriangles       Triangle Mesh Functions
  parametric3d          Draw a 3D Parametric Plot
  perspLighting          Lighting Functions
  phongLighting         Lighting Functions
  pointsTetrahedra     Create a Set of Tetrahetra Centered at Data Points
  scaleTriangles       Triangle Mesh Functions
  slices3d                 Interactive Image Slices of 3D or 4D Volume Data
  surfaceTriangles     Create a Triangle Mesh Representing a Surface
  teapot                    Utah Teapot
  translateTriangles   Triangle Mesh Functions
  updateTriangles      Triangle Mesh Functions

None of them does read/write a PLY file.

You will find below a simple code for drawing a 3D image. The displayed
image is stored in the package misc3d (not read from a file).

library(misc3d)
data(teapot)

haveRGL <- suppressWarnings(require(rgl,quietly=TRUE))
ttri <- makeTriangles(teapot$vertices, teapot$edges, color = "red", color2 =
"green")

## draw the teapot
drawScene(ttri,screen=list(y=-30,x=40), scale = FALSE)

str(teapot)
# > str(teapot)
# List of 2
# $ vertices: num [1:3, 1:1976] -3,00 1,65 0,00 -2,99 1,65 ...
# $ edges   : int [1:3, 1:3751] 1455 1469 1459 1449 1455 1459 1462 1449 1459
1469 ...

# My images (PLY images) have vertices and edges like the teapot image in
the example. If PLY images are read by R, I will be able to manipulate them.

Thanks.