[R] update.packages()

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Nov 12 20:17:02 CET 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 1:00 PM, Patrick Connolly wrote:

> On Wed, 11-Nov-2009 at 03:47PM +0100, CG Pettersson wrote:
>
> |> Dear all,
> |>
> |> W.XP
> |>
> |> I recently upgraded to R2.10.0 and did what I usually do: copied
> all
> |> "special" libraries from the old installation and then used
> |> "update.packages()" on the command line. Nothing happened. Then I
> clicked
> |> on the same command on the droplist which generated
> |> "update.packages(ask='graphics')", but still with no effect.
> |>
> |> When I tried to load the "gregmisc" bundle I got error messages
> telling me
> |> to upgrade the individual packages (like gmodels and gplot).
> |>
> |> What has happened and why?
>
> Have a look at the checkBuilt parameter to update.packages.
>
> HTH

<snip>

 From the NEWS file for 2.10.0:

DEPRECATED & DEFUNCT

     o	Bundles of packages are deprecated.  See 'Writing R
	Extensions' for the steps needed to unbundle a bundle.

Thus, see:

   http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Package-bundles

I am copying Greg here at his last known e-mail address, albeit I have
not seen any communications from him in some time.

In the mean time, you will need to install/upgrade the individual
component packages.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz