[R] how to permute, simulate Markov chain

martin08 hugh.martin at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 15 22:11:47 CET 2009

Hi all,

I am new to R. Can someone please give me some hints in how to do the
following things:

1- Get ONE permutation of a set. I have looked at the gregmisc package's
permutations() method, but I just want to get one permutation at a time.

2- Simulate a Markov chain in R. For instance, I want to simulate the simple
random walk problem, in which a person can walk randomly around 4 places. I
know how to set up the transition matrix in R. I'm stuck at what to do next.

I'm grateful if someone can give me hint or a pointer.

Thanks.

Martin