[R] question on gps.prof in ismev

Kleinn, Jan Jan.Kleinn at aspen-re.com
Tue Nov 17 12:13:02 CET 2009

Dear all,

I'm trying to produce a log-likelihood profile for a GPD estimate with
the ismev package. When following the examples, everything is working
fine, i.e. I get a nice parabolic log-likelihood curve. When using my
own data (intensity of hurricanes at landfall), the log-likelihood curve
looks like a step function. Am I doing something wrong here? Is my data
not suited for the GPD fit? Any help is highly welcome.

Furthermore: how can I extract the data at which the log-likelihood
curve crosses the confidence coefficient to get the values of the
confidence interval for the given return period?

I've attached the figure of gpd.diag of my data and the figure of
gpd.prof.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Jan

 <<gpd_diag.png>>  <<gpd_prof.png>>

The information in this email, including attachments, is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended addressee(s), any disclosure, storage, copying, distribution of this email or the information contained in it, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return email and delete this email (including any attachments) from your system. Please check any attachments for viruses before opening.

In the UK:
Aspen Insurance UK Limited, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3BD, UK. Tel: +44 (0)207 184 8000. Company No: 1184193.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Aspen Managing Agency Limited, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3BD, UK. Tel: +44 (0)207 184 8000. Company No: 6459521

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, managing agent at Lloyd's.

In Bermuda:
Aspen Insurance Limited, Maxwell Roberts Building, 1 Church Street, Hamilton, HM 11, Bermuda. Tel: +1 441 295 8201.

In the US:
Aspen Re America Inc, 175 Capital Boulevard, Suite 300, Rocky Hill, CT  06067, USA. Tel: +1 860 258 3500.

In the UK, ASPEN is a registered trade mark of Aspen (Actuaries & Pensions Consultants) plc of the UK and is used by Aspen Re and Aspen Managing Agency Limited under licence. Aspen Re and Aspen Managing Agency Limited are subsidiaries of the Bermuda-based Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited ("AIHL").  AIHL and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with Aspen (Actuaries & Pensions Consultants) plc of the UK.