[R] SVM Param Tuning with using SNOW package

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 18 23:03:23 CET 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 4:21 PM, raluca wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I have no idea what "magic" you did, but running exactly the same
> code as
> you, I have the same problem as before, meaning that I get results
> that are
> identical from 2 in 2, while I should get diffrent results for each
> value of
> cost1 (which is a vector with 10 values running between 0.5 and 30)

Maybe your should post more details about the hardware? Magic?  I am
not particularly experienced with parallel process. All I did was read
the help pages and make a couple of changes that appeared better at
matching what the functions specified and the samples illustrated.
This is actually the first parallel code that I have gotten to run.

> This is the result I get.
>
> 0.2197162, 0.2197162,  0.1467448,  0.1467448,  0.2247955,  0.2247955,
> 0.1073280, 0.1073280 0.2332475, 0.2332475
>
> Anyway, thanks a lot for trying.
>
> PS. Probably I should switch to Mac :)

I just ran it again (took a couple of seconds on a 2009 unibody
MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) w/ 8 GB):
 > RMSEP
[[1]]
[1] 0.1720245

[[2]]
[1] 0.3396405

[[3]]
[1] 0.2359737

[[4]]
[1] 0.203541

[[5]]
[1] 0.1965804

[[6]]
[1] 0.1662158

[[7]]
[1] 0.1705594

[[8]]
[1] 0.2553175

[[9]]
[1] 0.1748892

[[10]]
[1] 0.09500263

> [...]
>> of
>> "surgery" on your code lets it run on a multicore Mac:
>>
>> library(e1071)
>> library(snow)
>> library(pls)
>>
>> data(gasoline)
>>
>> X=gasoline$NIR
>> Y=gasoline$octane
>>
>> NR=10
>> cost1=seq(0.5,30, length=NR)
>>
>> sv.lin<- function(c) {
>>
>> for (i in 1:NR) {
>>
>> ind=sample(1:60,50)
>> gTest<-  data.frame(Y=I(Y[-ind]),X=I(X[-ind,]))
>> gTrain<- data.frame(Y=I(Y[ind]),X=I(X[ind,]))
>>
>> svm.lin   	  <- svm(gTrain$X,gTrain$Y, kernel="linear",cost=c[i],
>> cross=5)
>> results.lin   <- predict(svm.lin, gTest$X)
>>
>> e.test.lin     <- sqrt(sum((results.lin-gTest$Y)^2)/length(gTest$Y))
>>
>> return(e.test.lin)
>> }
>> }
>>
>> cl<- makeCluster(2, type="SOCK" )
>>
>> clusterEvalQ(cl, library(e1071))
>> cost1=seq(0.5,30, length=NR)
>>
>> clusterExport(cl,c("NR","Y","X",  "cost1"))
>> # Pretty sure you need a copy of cost1 on each node.
>>

>> RMSEP<-clusterApply(cl, cost1, sv.lin)
>> # I thought the second argument was the matrix or vector over which
>> iterate.
>>
>> stopCluster(cl)
>>
>> # Since I don't know what the model meant, I cannot determine whehter
>> this result is interpretable>
>>> RMSEP
>> [[1]]
>> [1] 0.1921887
>>
>> [[2]]
>> [1] 0.1924917
>>
>> [[3]]
>> [1] 0.1885066
>>
>> [[4]]
>> [1] 0.1871466
>>
>> [[5]]
>> [1] 0.3550932
>>
>> [[6]]
>> [1] 0.1226460
>>
>> [[7]]
>> [1] 0.2426345
>>
>> [[8]]
>> [1] 0.2126299
>>
>> [[9]]
>> [1] 0.2276286
>>
>> [[10]]
>> [1] 0.2064534
>>
>> --
>> David Winsemius, MD
>>
>> On Nov 18, 2009, at 7:09 AM, raluca wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Charlie,
>>>

>>> Yes, you are perfectly right, when I make the clusters I should put
>>> 2, not
>>> 10 (it remained 10 from previous trials with 10 slaves).
>>>
>>> cl<- makeCluster(2, type="SOCK" )
>>>
>>> To tell the truth I do not understand very well what the 2nd
>>> parameter for
>>> clusterApplyLB() has to be.
>>>
>>> If the function sv.lin has just 1 parameter, sv.lin(c), where c is
>>> the cost,
>>> how should I call clusterApplyLB?
>>>

>>> ? clusterApply LB(cl, ?,sv.lin, c=cost1)  ?
>>>

>>> Below, I am providing a working example, using the gasoline data

>>> library(snow)