[R] How to install older version of R?

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Thu Nov 19 09:08:03 CET 2009

Dear Jia-Chiun Pan,

First of all, why install an older version of R? In my experience the
backward compatibility of R is quite good. So using R 2.10.0 should be
ok. But if you really want this you can build R from source. The source
can be downloaded from CRAN:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-2/R-2.7.2.tar.gz

Extract, ./configure, make, make install and you have R 2.7.2 installed
on your system.

cheers,
Paul

Pan, Jia-chiun/潘家群 wrote:
> Dear list
>
>         This is much like a linux problem, but I can't find any
> reference for it. My OS is ubuntu 9.04 and a version of 2.9.2 of R has
> been already installed in. Now, I need to install the version of 2.7.1.
> I google a lot of websites and it seems like without a painless way
> provided me to do it.
>         If any one offers me some suggestions/reference, I will
> appreciate.
>
>                                              Jia-Chiun Pan

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography