[R] Splitting massive output into multiple text files

A Singh Aditi.Singh at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Nov 19 17:23:25 CET 2009

Dear List,

I thought it would be much easier to put a second query into a second mail.

I need to print 426*10000 blocks of variance components data, where 426 is
the number of columns of data that have 10000 permutations of variance
generated for each of them.

I have tried printing out a smaller number of permutations for a smaller
number of markers and that has worked.

However, since a text file will not handle 4 million blocks in a single
file (which is what I ultimately need to do), is there a way to tell R to
create a new file for every 10 or so columns?

I tried to use some suggested code that looked like:

for (j in 1:426)
{
 write(cbind(modeldf[,j:(j+9)]),file=as.character(j))
 j <- j+10
}

..but can't figure out how to put it into my own code and make it work.

I did find one example of code for split files, each successive file being
labeled as a series of numbers, but I couldn't figure out how to even adapt
that to my model.

I cannot figure out what other way there is to conveniently view 4 m. items
of data without losing some of it somewhere..

Any help will be much much appreciated..

Aditi

Code for shorter sample file:

model<-read.table("...)

modeldf<-data.frame(model)

modeldf[2:13<-lapply(modeldf[2:13],factor)

colms<-(modeldf)[4:13]   ## 10 markers only in this file
se<-c(1:1000)

for(f in colms)
{
print("Marker")
{
for( i in 1:1000)
{
print("perm no.")
print(se[i])
{
peg.no.prm<-sample(peg.no, length(peg.no))
try(fit5<-lmer(data=modeldf, peg.no.prm~1 + (1|family/f)))
print(summary(fit5))
capture.output(fit5, file="testperm5.txt", append=T)
}}}
}

The data files are at:

>> <http://www.4shared.com/file/131980362/460bdafe/Testvcomp10.ht