[R] loess smoothing

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Nov 20 05:46:29 CET 2009

The loess.demo function in the TeachingDemos package helps visualize what is happening with the loess algorithm, it may answer some of your questions.

Simply, the span can be greater than 1, a span of 3/4 mean use the 3/4 of the points closest to where you are trying to predict, a span of 1 means use all the points (but their weights will change for where you are predicting), spans greater than 1 still use all the points, but the weights become more similar to each other, as span approaches Inf, the loess curve approaches a straight line.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center