[R] find data (date) gaps in time series

Stefan Strohmeier stefan.strohmeier at gmx.de
Fri Nov 20 12:26:13 CET 2009

Dear R users,

I have a time series of precipitation data. The time series comprises
~ 20 years and it is supposed to be constant (one value per day), but
due to some failure of the measuring device some days or periods are
missing. I would like to find these missing days or periods just to
get a first idea about the reliability of the measurements. The only
function I could find was is.constant(), but of course I only get a
true or false statement instead of the dates missing.
Google searches and a look at the R help mailing did not reveal an
answer.

Please find attached a few dates of the time series with missing
values from February to April. I would like R to detect those missing
dates.

Any hints or solutions are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Stefan Strohmeier

2916 2002-02-17  0.0
2917 2002-02-18  0.3