[R] How to concatenate expressions

Sebastien Bihorel Sebastien.Bihorel at cognigencorp.com
Fri Nov 20 17:19:29 CET 2009

Dear R-users,

I am developing a plotting function, which receives expressions and
character/numerical vectors as part of the many input arguments and
which tries to concatenate them before displaying the result to the
plot. I currently cannot find a way to make this concatenation works. I
have read several posts in the list that solved this problem by pasting
the different elements together before creating the expressions (like in
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/02a/4790.html). I cannot
implement this solution because my expressions and numerical/character
vectors are passed to the function and not create inside the function. I
would greatly appreciate any help with the following example code.

Thank you

testplot <- function(a,b,c) {

  text <- as.expression(paste(a,b,c,sep=' '))

  dev.new()

  plot(-5:5,-5:5,col=0)

  for (i in 1:3) {
    text(x=i,
         y=i,
         labels=text[i])
  }
}

a <- as.expression(c(bquote(alpha),bquote(beta),bquote(gamma)))

b <- as.expression(1:3)

c <- as.expression(c(bquote('-10'^th),
                     bquote('-20'^th),
                     bquote('-30'^th)))