[R] title problem

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Nov 21 19:43:49 CET 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Gary wrote:

> I think Gabor suggestion works. Adding "line=" option in title makes
> it work. Here is a little modification of what Gabor suggested,
> Carol you may try this code:
>
> par(oma=c(3,1,4,1))
> par(mfrow = c(1,2))
> plot(c(1,2,3), c(9,8,7))
> plot(c(1,2,3), c(9,8,7))
> title(main = "Main title line1\nMain title line2", cex.main=1.5,
> line=1, sub = "Sub title line1\nSub title line2", cex.sub = 0.75,
> outer = TRUE)

Agree it works. Apparently setting line to something other than the
default = NA is necessary. To get it to work as I expected I needed to
set line=0. The help page was not particularly helpful in this regard.
Am I correct in thinking that title() adds 1 to NA and gets NA for the
subtitle placement, but that this is not happening for the title
placement? (Could not figure out what was really happening because
could not expose the code of as.graphicAnnot(). If so, shouldn't this
be fixed?

oprar <- par(oma=c(1,1,2,1))
par(mfrow = c(1,2))
plot(c(1,2,3), c(9,8,7))
plot(c(1,2,3), c(9,8,7))
title(main = "Main title line1\nline2", line=0, sub = "Sub title
line1",  outer = TRUE)
par(opar)

So now the number of displayed lines equals the number of specified
lines in par()$oma

--
David.