[R] Loess Fit

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Nov 23 21:23:09 CET 2009

Check out the loess.demo function in the TeachingDemos package.  Using this function with your data will show the scatterplot with the loess curve.  Then if you click in the plot it will show the line/curve used to do the prediction for that x-value, click on another x-value and you will see that the line/curve used there is different from before.  There is not a single function created by the loess algorithm, rather a different approximation for every possible x-value (theoretically infinite, practically still a big number).

You could fit a function to the results of loess (or approximate the points with a function), but the function will probably be complicated enough that it would not tell you much that the points themselves don't.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org