[R] Doubt about CCA and PCA

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 24 01:20:46 CET 2009

Dear Francisco,

CCA and PCA are quite different methods. CCA regresses your 'response' data onto a set of explanatory variables. This needs to invert the matrix of covariances of the predictors, which is only possible if n>p, where n is the number of observations and p the number of explanatory variables.

PCA is defined in any case. The ratio between n and p is then relevant only if you intend to infer principal axes / component of the population (as opposed to using the PA/PC as mere descriptors of the sample). I would recommend reading :
Joliffe, I. T. Principal Component Analysis Springer, 2004
which tackles the latter point very clearly.

Best regards,

Thibaut.
--
Dr Thibaut JOMBART