[R] How to interpret the phase spectrum?

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 24 09:27:44 CET 2009

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> sdlywjl666 wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I would like to know whether positive or negative values of the phase spectrum indicate that the time series leads or lags.
>>     In my work, x and y have peak nearly at the same frequency,(eg:f=1/56);and the coherency is peak where f=1/56,the phase is 0.5 where f=1/56.
>>     Can I get the conclusion that x lead y 0.5*56=28 at the frquency f=1/56?
>> if not,how can I compute the lag/lead by phase and frequency.
>
> Are you referring to a particular piece of software?
>
> As far as I know, this is completely dependent on choice of notation, so
> the question really only makes sense in a specified context. In the
> cases I remember seeing (I'm no time series expert, though), the phase
> is an _angle_ between 0 and 2*pi or between -pi and +pi, or sometimes in
> degrees, but I suppose it could be scaled to (-1 , 1) or (0, 1) as well.
> Also lead/lag for cyclic functions is a matter of convention; in
> particular, there's no difference between leading and lagging by half a
> cycle.

Following up on Peter's comment. Different authors define the
cross-covariance and hence cross-spectrum differently. Time series seems
to me to be plagued by inconsistencies in definitions.

There is a way out though, and when faced with different software, it is
a step which should always be undertaken before any interpretation is
attempted. Generate a series, a simple sinusoid will do, change the
phase to generate a leading or lagged series, and see how the cospectrum
looks. That is really the only infallible way of determining what the
software is doing.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics