[R] Accessing remote data (ftp) over the net

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Wed Nov 25 01:13:01 CET 2009

Hi,

Is there any way to access data remotely over the Internet? In
particular, I'm starting a project that will use data from the U.S.
Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Bureau regularly updates various data
series and publishes them as a series of flat files that can be
downloaded via ftp (e.g., cf.  ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/time.series/sm/).
Since some of these files are rather large, I'd like to retrieve
selected elements by using sql queries. Since the files are often large
and updated frequently, I'd like to leave them on the server.

I'm thinking of trying something like: R -> RODBC -> MySQL -> query of
remote flat-file database and keeping the query as a view.

Has anyone been successful doing something like this? Is there a better
approach?

Thanks.

    Marsh Feldman