[R] Reading from Google Docs

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Nov 25 21:15:28 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Farrel Buchinsky <fjbuch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I reinstalled from a binary that Duncan Temple Lang placed in omegahat. I
> see that omegahat has a subdirectory for each version of R. There is not a
> directory for 2.10. I took the liberty of taking it from the 2.9 directory.

That explains the warning message.

> Who knows what crime I committed. Is that first or third degree murder.

Well, it's just a warning-- so it shouldn't be a show-stopper.  And
from what I see the warning is only referring to the package help
pages, which are available online.  It looks like the functionality of
the package should still work just fine if you don't want to bother
with a reinstall.

> I saw however that there is a far more recent version of RGoogleDocs (Last
> Release: 0.4-0 (27 Oct 2009)). But it is in tar.gz. I assume that it is in
> source. Once before I spent about 27000 hours getting a source to become a
> binary. I don't know how I finally got it right and am reluctant to wander
> into that swamp again.
> Farrel Buchinsky

This shouldn't be extraordinarily difficult-- unfortunately Murphy's
Law does come into play sometimes.  But it should just be a matter of:

  install.packages( "RGoogleDocs", repos="http://www.omegahat.org/R",
type="source" )

And that's it for Linux, Mac OS or other UNIX-based system.  With
Windows you will first have to install the toolset available at:

 http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/

Grab the "Rtools210" installer as you are using R 2.10.x.  Install
using the "Package Authoring" option and make sure you check any
options that ask about modifying your PATH.

Good luck!

-Charlie