[R] R or C++ on FreeNX servers

Murray Jorgensen maj at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Nov 25 22:03:40 CET 2009

Hi all,

I have just found out that the machine learning group in our Faculty has
a lot of spare capacity on their FreeNX servers. I do not know a lot
about these beasts but I understand that they are a free version of
something produced by a firm called "NoMachine".

They are designed for executing parallel algorithms and I thought that
they might be of use in a project of mine comparing different
model-fitting algorithms from the point of view of sensitivity to
starting values.

Anyway before revealing my near-total ignorance to my computer science
colleagues I thought I would ask if any of my fellow R users have any
experience with these things and possibly advice to offer. The CS people
  are probably using the servers in conjunction with Java or C++ and I
could possibly use the latter of these. I wondered, though, if R could
be used directly with such hardware and if so, how the parallelizing
would be handled.

Regards,   Murray Jorgensen

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand