[R] How to display an image on RGL plot?

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 08:59:27 CET 2009

Hi all.
It's been a long time since I wrote to this list. Glad to see the R project
well and working.

I am working  with a 3D plot similar to this:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p26525258/rgl-device.png rgl-device.png

The underlying picture is a JPEG image, loaded with the rimage package and
coerced to the matrix.
Spheres denote control points, collected from this picture and must be
situated over the certain points of the image.
I display the image with rgl.points.
In case of the standard video camera image (704x576) it has to display over
400000 points which is rather slow and memory consuming.
How can I put an original JPEG on this plot?

Another problem is that the picture is color initially, but was converted to
the grayscale. I'd like to preserve colors.
Any hints would be appreciated.