[R] Ubuntu tcl/tk problems

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Nov 30 15:12:19 CET 2009

stephen sefick wrote:
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>   Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error : package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
>
> Ubuntu 9.10
> I have both the 8.5 and 8.4 tcl and tk regular and dev libraries
> installed.  I need both of these because some of my GIS software
> requires the 8.4 libraries.  Should I remove the 8.5 libraries, or ...
>
> All help is greatly appreciated!
> regards,

Is this "stock R" or one you compiled yourself? What does capabilities()
say about tcltk?

I don't use Ubuntu, and it is a bit hard to know what kinds of messes
distibution maintainers might cook up, but if capabilities() claims that
tcltk should work, then I might take a look at

ldd /usr/lib64/R/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so

or whatever the counterpart is on your system. And also check that
you're not accidentally setting things like LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the wrong
thing in your shell environment.