[R] Multiple time series and their names

David Stoffer dsstoffer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 17:04:35 CEST 2009

Thanks for the help.  My basic problem is that I have given my series names,
but I still have to call them number 1, 2, and so on, to do things with
them.  If I want to compare "GNP" with "Private Investment", I have to
remember which columns contains those series.

The concern I have is that I'm giving these data sets to other people. Now,
if give someone a data frame, I can ask them to compare John with Martha
without them having to know (or remember) that John's data are in column 93
and Martha's are in column 22.  I'd like to do the same thing with a time
series matrix.

David

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> zoo objects can have one column with a heading and convert back
> faithfully to ts:
>
>> library(zoo)
>> as.zoo(x)[, 1, drop = FALSE]
>             Juan
> 1(1) -0.37415224
> 1(2) -0.30875111
> 1(3) -0.02617545
> 1(4) -0.45053564
> 2(1)  0.15173749
> 2(2)  1.38545761
> 2(3)  2.11594058
> 2(4) -0.84970010
> 3(1) -0.05944844
> 3(2)  1.27543030
>> tsp(x)
> [1] 1.00 3.25 4.00
>> tsp(as.ts(as.zoo(x)))
> [1] 1.00 3.25 4.00
>

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:15 PM, David Stoffer <dsstoffer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Suppose I have multiple time series with names for each one, for example,
>>
>> x <- ts(matrix(rnorm(30,0,1),10,3), names=c("Juan", "Tuey", "Trey"),
>> frequency=4)
>>
>> So now, as I start to explore these series, if I do everything at once,
>> the
>> names
>> stay attached to the series.  For example,
>> plot(x) # gives a plot of the series with their names
>> acf(x)  # gives the ACFs & CCFs with names attached
>>
>> But if I want to explore what's going on with Juan, from what I can
>> gather,
>> I have to do something like this
>> plot(x[,1])
>> (or acf(x[,1])... or similar things) but this doesn't keep the name Juan.
>>
>> My question: Is there a way, without making a data frame [which seems to
>> destroy the
>> time series attributes(??) - this seems to be the only answer I can find
>> on
>> Rhelp]
>> that allows me to keep track of the names?  That way, for example, I
>> don't
>> have to
>> remember that the 18th series is Martha.
>>
>> x$Juan, x$Tuey, x$Trey, would be nice ... but that doesn't work.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> -----
>> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
>> by those who have not got it.  George Bernard Shaw
>> --

-----
by those who have not got it.  George Bernard Shaw