[R] convenience question

Philip A. Viton viton.1 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 4 17:32:46 CEST 2009

On: R 2.8.1 / Ms Windows / R-Gui-R-console

I have a long-ish function, and to re-assure myself that it's
actually making progress I've arranged a set of messages to the
console (using cat). But what happens is that the messages don't
actually display until the function  has finished, which sort of
negates the purpose. However, if I hit Return after starting the
function, then all is well. I'm pretty sure that what's happening is
that the function isn't yielding time to the operating system in
order that messages be processed: so my question is, is there any way
to do that within the function? Or maybe, to simulate the Return keystroke?

Thanks!

Philip A. Viton
City Planning, Ohio State University
275 West Woodruff Avenue, Columbus OH 43210
viton.1 at osu.edu