[R] ggplot2: proper use of facet_grid inside a function

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Oct 5 10:12:56 CEST 2009

Dear Bryan,

In the ggplot() function you can choose between aes() and aes_string().
In the first you need to hardwire the variable names, in the latter you
can use objects which contain the variable names. So in your case you
need aes_string().

Unfortunatly, facet_grid() works like aes() and not like aes_string().
That is why you are getting errors.

A workaround would be to add a dummy column to your data.

library(ggplot2)
data <- mpg
fac1 <- "cty"
fac2 <- "drv"
res <- "displ"
data$dummy <- data[, fac2]
ggplot(data, aes_string(x = fac1, y = res)) + geom_point() +
facet_grid(.~dummy)

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey