[R] previous.best in metaMDS

Kim Vanselow Vanselow at gmx.de
Tue Oct 6 11:03:58 CEST 2009

Dear R-community, dear Jari Oksanen!
I use metaMDS (package vegan) to calculate NMDS.
In a lot of papers I read that it is recommended to use previous best solutions as a new starting configuration to get better results and to avoid local minima.
On the help page I found that a previous.best-command is already implemented in metaMDS:
metaMDS(comm, distance = "bray", ...,plot = FALSE, previous.best,...)
But unfortunately I did not manage to use it properly.
When I run metaMDS without command previous.best I certainly get a result.
I run it again with command previous.best and I get this message:
"Fehler in metaMDS(data...  :
  object "previous.best" not found"
My question: How can I save the best solution and use it in the next NMDS.

I also tried to type in the command: previous.best = TRUE
Then I get the message:
"Starting from a previous solution
Fehler in s0$stress : $ operator is invalid for atomic vectors"

Could you please help me?
Thank you very much,
Kim