[R] Way of handling empty value when reading in CSV

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:23:29 CEST 2009

Does this do what you want:

)> x <- read.csv(textConnection("home,sqr_footage,cost,color,exterior
+ 1,1500,150000,,Siding
+ 2,2000,200000,Red,Brick
+ 3,,300000,Grey,Brick
+ 4,3500,350000,Blue,
+ 5,4000,450000,Red,Brick"), na.strings='')
> closeAllConnections()

  home sqr_footage   cost color exterior
1    1        1500 150000  <NA>   Siding
2    2        2000 200000   Red    Brick
3    3          NA 300000  Grey    Brick
4    4        3500 350000  Blue     <NA>
5    5        4000 450000   Red    Brick