[R] Robust ANOVA with variance heterogeneity

Kjetil Halvorsen kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:51:18 CEST 2009

Hola!  see below.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
> Do you have a citation for that statement? I cannot convince myself that it
> should be true.

OK. that took some time, since I have no nonparametrics book with me,
but it is a fairly
standard assumption the friedman.test  shares with wilcox.test and
others. One online reference giving this is:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/stats/index.html?/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/stats/friedman.html&http://www.google.cl/search?q=assumptions+of+friedman+test&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

specifically:
"Friedman's test makes the following assumptions about the data in X:

    *

      All data come from populations having the same continuous
distribution, apart from possibly different locations due to column
and row effects.
    *

      All observations are mutually independent.                 "

This is also easy to investigate by simulation in R:

I did:
> A[, 1] <- rnorm(100, 0, 1)
> A[, 2] <- rnorm(100, 0, 5)
> A[, 3] <- rnorm(100, 0, 500)
> friedman.test(A)

	Friedman rank sum test

data:  A
Friedman chi-squared = 2.96, df = 2, p-value = 0.2276

which surprised me!   This test seems to be somewhat robust against
variance heterogeneity  ???, but that case is not included in the
usual theory.

Kjetil