[R] power?

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 7 08:35:58 CEST 2009

The short answer is Yes. If you reject the null hypothesis based on that
p-value, then by definition you had enough power to do that. This is
because there is a precise inverse relationship between the p-value and
the "observed" power, once you fix the effect size and the sample size.
In other words, your post-hoc power analysis would be a simple
re-statement of the p-value. There is no extra information that can be
gained from such an analysis. See:

The American Statistician, February 2001, Vol. 55, No. 1, pp 19-24

Don't bother with your power analysis, unless you are planning a new
experiment.

Simon.

--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

Statistics is the grammar of science - Karl Pearson